Logan County Hamburgers
from the The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel (yes, Billy Joel's wife---weird)
Dubbed the Logan County Hamburger, the burger is a creation of Joel's grandmother who made the burger with cheap ingredients during tough times. It's simple, yet delicious and intensely comforting. The combination of the beef, melted cheese, and crisp bread is perfectly satisfying.
1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder1 teaspoon kosher salt1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper12 slices white bread
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
12 slices American cheese, optional
1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
2. Form into thin patties.
3. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
4. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
5. In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, if desired, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.
6. Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Serve with mustard, ketchup, pickles, or any other desired hamburger toppings